September 22, 2009

Using Research to Analyze, Inform, and Assess Changes in Instruction

While reading Robinson's article Using Research to Analyze, Inform, and Assess Change in Instruction, I thought about my own impending teaching career and what this article means to me.  The following are two quotes that I have responded to from my own "new teacher" point of view.

“Small peer groups often provide students with an acceptance and a sense of cohesiveness that is invaluable.”
I sometimes overlook the value of peer groups and learning from each other as well as from the teacher.  It is tempting to think that students will automatically look to each other for help if they need it, but I agree with Robinson that it is something that needs to be strived for and actively nurtured in the classroom.  Students need that sense of community in a classroom and in our Principles of Teaching lectures it was mentioned that one of the signs of a “great” teacher is the ability to instill “a sense of shared project” among students.  That is exactly what Robinson seemed to be doing and the change worked.  Students did better both in class and on exams, both strong indicators of her success.



“Developing classrooms norms that supported student-student discussion was by far the most difficult of my goals to accomplish.  I was used to ‘controlling’ what happened in my classroom, and I thought it was important for me to be ‘in control’.”
Sacrificing control in the classroom for the good of the students is something that seems terrifying to me.  On one hand, losing control - and not being able to get it back - of the classroom is one of my biggest fears as a new teacher, so to consciously give up the safety of control will be a huge challenge for me.  On the other hand, the benefits of doing so are clear from what the paper describes: better student involvement, better test performance, and more critical thinking.  Walking the line between letting go of complete control and totally losing all control is a hard line to walk, especially when I’m still establishing myself as a teacher.  It is something that I will have to keep in the back of my mind and constantly push myself to do on an ongoing basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment